Slow Cooker Pumpkin Curry Soup


I am so excited to share my favorite recipe for curried pumpkin soup with you today!

In my family, we taking cooking pretty seriously. 

On my dad's side my Nana is a published cook book author.

On my mom's side my family owns and runs two Bed & Breakfasts and a catering company in Northern Vermont. Our cousin also recently purchased a small hotel and restaurant in the area, and we're all related to Julia Child. 
(For real. Her dad was my great-grandfather's first cousin. They grew up together in Pennsylvania.)
 So if there are any production companies looking for new reality TV show ideas- I've got some material for you to work with. Brunch Wars, anyone? 

One of our go-to appetizers for events is a pumpkin bisque that is absolutely fabulous. We serve it in shot glasses because soup shots are always a good idea.

I put my own twist on the recipe by using coconut cream, and vegetable broth when I want to make things vegan. 
Adding the curry powder and the powdered ginger gives this soup a brightness and an almost Thai flavor that I just adore. If you're into curried vegetables, you'll be into this curried pumpkin soup recipe for sure. 
You can easily double or triple this if you're serving a crowd, and I like to freeze it in individual servings to take for meals on the go at work. 


Pumpkin Curry Soup

Ingredients:

-4 shallots
-2 cloves garlic
-2 cans of pureed pumpkin
-2 cans of coconut cream
-One box of Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth
-Two tablespoons curry powder
-One teaspoon powdered ginger
-Two tablespoons coconut oil, olive oil, butter
-Sea salt and fresh pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Mince shallots and garlic. In a medium pan, saute shallots on low in your preferred oil until shallots are slightly caramelized and light brown in color. Add garlic and saute until fragrant.

2. Pour canned pumpkin, coconut cream, broth, and sautéed vegetables into your slow cooker. Add curry powder and salt and pepper to taste. Give it a good stir.

3. Set your slow cooker to four hours on high. 

4. Check in every hour or so to stir and see how it's coming along. When everything has liquified, you can use an immersion blender to get everything to a smooth consistency or just leave it as-is if you're ok with beautiful dots of caramelized shallots floating in your soup. I know I'm cool with that. 

5. Serve hot with whatever delicious garnish fills you with joy. Thai red pepper for a kick of spice. Maybe some toasted pumpkin seeds. Heck, add some oyster crackers baked with olive oil and curry powder. You do you. 

No comments