Beauty on a Budget


Until I was about 19, makeup was a slightly terrifying and impenetrable mystery. 
Outside of my stage experience for musical theatre and Miss Vermont's Outstanding Teen, I didn't really wear makeup and I was pretty intimidated by it. 
My mom isn't much of a makeup person, so most of what I've learned has been from professional makeup artists, YouTube tutorials, and backstage at pageants. 

These days, I have a makeup routine that has been honed by experience and trial and error.




I'm a high points roller at both Sephora and Ulta, but as a Reserve Flight Attendant I don't always have the cash to buy all of the products I'd like to.  #reservelifeprobs




Plus, sometimes you get stuck somewhere and you have to make it work with whatever you can scrounge up at your local drug store.



Here are short and sweet makeup reviews for my current Top Three Budget Beauty Favorites:

1. Sonia Kashuk Tinted Brow Gel for Target


As someone with SUPER blonde (i.e. invisible) eyebrows, I compulsively color them in every single day, even if I'm not putting any other makeup on. Using a tinted brow gel has made a world of difference for me. I picked this up at Target because I was out of my usual brow gel, and I have to say I've been very pleased. The spool is a little bit too large, but after using it once I got the hang of it. I've found the taupe color works really well for my coloring- it doesn't look to brown, and it's not too light. I'm not sure that it's actually a universal color, but it does work well for my blondie purposes.

2. Revlon Colorstay Eye Liner 


I've been using this eyeliner for years and years. I've tried gels, liquids, and other pencils, but this one is what I come back to again and again. It's inexpensive, doesn't budge once you put it on, and has a built in sharpener. 



3. Ulta Twisted Volume Mascara



I bought this the other day on a complete whim. I needed a new mascara because my others were well past when they should have been thrown out, and this one was $11. 
I'm so glad I tried it! 
I've been delighted by the volume that it gives my lashes, the minimal clumping, and the staying power. Plus, the wand has a clicky turny thing in the top that lets you adjust how much twist there is in the brush. It's kind of fun to play with and there is definitely a difference in the volume between setting 1 and setting 4. The difference isn't insanely dramatic, but it exists. 


So those are my current fave beauty budget buys!
Let me know if you've tried them, or how they work out if you give them a whirl.




No comments